Choosing A Portable Vaporizer: Things To Consider
When on the lookout for a new portable vaporizer, the main features you have to consider are its portability, the quality of the vapor it produces, and its stealth.
- Portability: Portable vaporizers vary in size, but are usually pocket-friendly. Looking for a compact one that’s easy to carry with you anywhere is the way to go. This allows you to occasionally take smooth hits, put the device in your pocket, and go about your day. Looking for a unit with a removable and replaceable battery is also ideal since portable vaporizers do not really have a long battery life, so having a spare battery to switch the drained battery with is nice.
- Stealth: Portable vaporizers have a compact size, giving you a discreet way to enjoy dry herb or concentrates. Most people would rather not draw attention when having sessions in public, and using a stealthy vaporizer is nice as it can be concealed in your hand during use. An example of a super compact and pocket-friendly vaporizer is the Boundless CFC 2.0.
- Vapor: This is probably the most important thing to consider when choosing a portable vaporizer. A tip here is to choose one that’s compact yet big enough to incorporate high-powered heating elements, spacious chambers/ovens, and more. Vapor paths that feature an all-glass construction are by far the best at preserving the natural flavor and aroma of your herb while also producing cool vapor.
Showing 1–12 of 58 results
X-MAX v2 Pro Vaporizer
X-MAX Starry 3 Vaporizer
Healthy Rips Fury 2 Vaporizer
Puffco Peak Vaporizer
Hydrology9 Portable Vaporizer
HoneyStick BeeMaster Twin Vaporizer
Flowermate V5 Pro Mini
What Is A Portable Vaporizer?
Portable vaporizers are the perfect device for those of you who want portability without a shortage of vapor quality.
Being battery-operated, they can be used without requiring access to a power source, unlike desktop vaporizers. However, since they are small in size, they generally do not produce as much vapor as their desktop counterparts.
The positive thing here is that these compact, handheld units are discreet and convenient – giving you more freedom.
The convenience and freedom they offer make them the preferred type of vaporizer for on-the-go consumption of dry herbs or wax concentrates.
The great versatility that comes with portable vaporizers makes them the perfect and ideal choice for many consumers. Also, they have come a long way over the last several years, with high-end units being packed with cutting-edge controls.
One great feature that’s worth mentioning is some devices’ integration with a mobile app (PAX 3, Firefly, Davinci IQ Series) – allowing you to precisely control its temperature control using your smartphone. Portable vaporizers have an overall feature-rich nature – harnessing great power inside their stealthy-sized frames with high-capacity batteries, temperature control capabilities, and advanced heating systems.
Some of the most popular portable vaporizer brands include Davinci, Pax, Firefly, Storz & Bickel, and Arizer.
How Do Portable Vaporizers Work?
Portable weed vaporizers, regardless of the manufacturer, are very similar structure- and component-wise. Generally, their makeup is quite simple and is made up of four major components: the battery, the internal oven or heating chamber, the bowl, and the mouthpiece.
- Battery: Most, if not all portable vaporizers’ power source is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. A lot of vaporizers’ batteries are self-contained, but others feature removable batteries. The latter obviously offers better convenience as you can easily swap a drained battery with a new, fully-charged one. This is especially useful when you’re on the go and have no access to a power source. Most modern portable vaporizers are equipped with micro-USB or USB-C charging cables so they are pretty easy to charge.
- Internal oven/heating chamber: Portable vaporizers feature an internal oven that’s responsible for heating up dry herb or wax concentrate at precise temperatures you can set to produce just the right amount of vapor you want; the higher the temperature, the more vapor it produces. This internal oven works using either conduction or convection heating method, with the conduction method being the more commonly used one. Conduction heating elements transfer heat and vaporize the herb by having the vaporizer’s hot components make direct contact with the dry herbs. Convection-style heating, on the other hand, does not let the dry herb come in contact with the heating element. Instead, the vaporizer creates hot air and blow it through the chamber – heating the bowl evenly and thoroughly. This minimizes combustion and prevents harsh hits while giving maximized aroma, flavor, and medicinal benefits. Ovens that make use of convection-style heating drain batteries quicker as they use more power compared with conduction or direct-contact ovens.
- Bowl: The bowl is where you put your material in. This component is usually made of glass, ceramic, or metal. Some portable vaporizers feature interchangeable bowls, capable of holding both dry herb and concentrates.
- Mouthpiece: As the name suggests, the mouthpiece is where the airflow from the oven is directed out for inhalation. This component is often detachable for cleaning purposes. Some units, like the Davinci IQ, even allows you to switch mouthpieces – giving you the option to choose between an extended one and a flat one, with both of them being made from 100% zirconia ceramic. The mouthpiece plays a huge part in your overall vaping experience as it is where your lips rest as you vape.